Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Teaching reading and writing

Teaching Very Young Multilingual Children How to Read and Write in Their Languages?
~ Multilingual Living
I love Madalena's response in the article!
"In Scandinavian countries, for example, literacy is taught first from age 7. Younger children have no need for this."
I was shocked when my son had to "study" reading & writing in his kindergarten class last year. Why the hurry? I just don't understand.

I guess it's probably not a coincidence that those Steiner kids don't learn their alphabet until they're seven, either.

2 comments:

  1. Yes! I sooooo agree! What IS the rush. I wonder where this comes from? When I grew up it seemed that we took things one step at a time but when my kids were preschool age, I was encouraged to get my kids into a program (of any kind) asap so that "they would have better chances in college." Huh?

    I so appreciate your response to Madalena's answer - it is an encouragement to all of us!

    Corey (from Multilingual Living)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you must be the very first and the only one who found this blog of mine! Thank you so much for your comment.

    When I was in Kindergarten, I probably didn't even know the word "homework" but my son had homework every day. I thought it was only in California where public schools have changed a lot, but in your area too? I'm really not happy about teaching young children too much too soon.

    I have many other things I'd like to share with you. I'll probably "take a small step at a time" and tweet slowly. Really nice meeting you on-line, Corey!

    ReplyDelete